Followers

About Me

My photo
Nobody understands who I really am and I don't really care.

Sunday, June 27, 2021

Yakap

And we're back! The bugsay mates all happy to be paddling again. ☺ 

"Ako ay nagbalik, at muli kang nasilayan.  Hindi na 'ko muli pang lilisan.  Dahil kung ikaw ang yakap ko, parang yakap ko ang langit, at yakap ko pati ang iyong ngiti." 
-Junior

        The song "Yakap" by Junior, instantly became the theme song of the night.  Though we couldn't give each other hugs, like we used to, the genuine happiness that emanated from each and every paddler, was enough to warm our hearts.  

        The long wait is now over.  We are officially back to paddling again.  The first water training night was gruesome. Our coach, however inspirational he may be,  didn't show us mercy.  After more than a year of no training, the drills he made us do, almost made my soul leave my body.  We were all adjusting to the proper form again.  It was frustrating to realize how much weight we all gained.  The boat felt so heavy, plus the fact that it cannot be filled to its full capacity, because of social distancing protocols. It felt weird to have no partner facing you. A bit sad, but we have two boats to utilize now.  Oh what fun it was... competing against each other! I love how no one from our team has temper tantrums.  

        It was another energy draining day at work. We were so busy, it was a functional mess, being under staffed, that I was only able to steal a few minutes, to eat a piece of chicken.  It was almost 4 pm that day, and I have not yet peed.  (Crossing my fingers that my kidneys would not suffer in the future because of this).  I was having second thoughts if I should go or not.  I was not prepared. It is best to load on carbs before our trainings, because we would need the energy.  It should be at least 2 hours before the session, because you also cannot paddle when you are too full. It will make you puke!😂 Our training ground is now in a different location, and I had no idea how to navigate my way to the place.  My worrisome self was getting the best of me again... but I guess what is meant to happen will happen.  Things just fall into place when you least expect them to.  One of my teammates messaged me, and just like that, I had a free ride! (Thank You Lord, I always get by, because of Your grace.)

Not so obvious that I couldn't contain my eagerness to get on the boat. 😁
First day/night back (17th of June)


        At the end of the night, our bodies were protesting because of the immediate muscle pain.  Yes, no kidding.  The soreness was felt instantaneously.  Even during the drills, just trying to extend the arm for a longer reach, oh what agony! But such a sweet torment it was! The one that we all missed. And of course, the paddler's curse, (paltos) blisters... on the ribs, under the axillae, and on the butt cheeks!😆 I can't say I missed them, but yeah, welcome back to them too. You know what, I don't regret going.  My heart was in such bliss! 

        I struggled at first to get my breathing rhythm right.  I expected that...  I lost my endurance because of the lack of training over the past year, but I am proud that not once, did I stop. At hindi ako sumawsaw! I gave it my all. Susuka, pero hindi susuko! Grabe asaran sa bangka, there was one instance, they were gossiping about me, and I couldn't even talk back, because I didn't want to disrupt my breathing! I missed all the friendly banters.  After all this time, you can still feel the love.  All the physical afflictions brought about by our training, were all worth it.  There is this peace, that only paddling can give.  

24th of June attendance photo

        I could not remember the last time I felt that joyful.  While every little bit of me ached, I knew I had a reason to keep celebrating my life.  Over the course of the pandemic, I felt like the typical OFW, who always had no one to rely on, but herself.  I went home, my soul filled with renewed hope.  My life is suddenly not so bad again.  

        Truly, I am blessed to have such kind hearted captains and teammates.  Their goodness is profoundly contagious.  Every moment spent with them, changes me into a better version of myself.   

"Tough times don't last, tough teams do." 

To my dragon boat family, I am grateful for all that you've done for me.  You are all a great part of my healing.  Waiting for the day that I can embrace each one of you again.  

Sagwan ready! 

#howpaddlinghealedmybrokenheart #ilovedaman #dragonboatchronicles
        

 

No comments: